“The best thing about training with The Beauty Academy is that I can start earning alongside studying towards my qualification” - Olivia
If you are looking to start a career within the beauty industry, or perhaps you are an existing therapist working from currently home or mobile, our VTCTLevel 2 and Level 3 Qualifications will enable you to gain employment in positions ranging from a holistic therapist within a spa to working as a beautician on a cruise-ship. There are varied requirements for those looking to gain employment in these sectors, compared with being self-employed, and these may influence which training route is best for you.
What are the benefits of completing a qualification?
- Employers highly value qualifications in both Level 2 and Level 3 as they demonstrate the therapist’s competence to achieve a recognised, accredited beauty training award that complies with industry standards due to the assessment process required.
- If you are considering employment in one of these sectors: salon, spa, nail bar or cruise ship, you are required to have appropriate qualifications to demonstrate that you are trained to an industry-approved level of service. They are often also needed by those who want to establish their own business premises such as a salon or permanent treatment room to comply with local authority licensing (students are recommended to contact their local authority before enrolling to establish the exact requirements).
- If you are looking to gain employment abroad in the beauty industry, VTCT qualifications are recognised internationally (we do recommend students to check with the relevant authority in that country of the industry requirements).
- All students (except those on Advanced Learner Loan funded courses) will receive these diplomas, which allow you to gain Public Liability Insurance to enable you to work with paying clients from home and/or mobile. Therefore, you can start earning straight away, even while working towards a qualification.
- Our courses are designed for those who want a flexible way to study to fit with their current employment or childcare commitments; and for those who want a fast-track route to gain a qualification as quick as possible. Our qualifications can be completed in as little as sixteen weeks.
- Completing a VTCT qualification will expand your career opportunities and allow you to keep your options open until you have decided on your chosen career-path in beauty.
- Holding a VTCT qualifications greatly increase your chances of gaining employment and indicate to an employer that you are able to perform treatments competently and within a commercially acceptable time.
How do qualifications work?
1) Once you have booked your qualification*, you will be sent your study material including study guides, module workbooks and practical assignment. You can also book in your practical training dates when you are ready.
2) You will need to attend practical training days to achieve The Beauty Academy diploma certificates following each individual course. This allows you to obtain Public Liability Insurance and begin earning alongside your qualification.
3) You will now need to begin purchasing tools/equipment to begin building up your kit**. You will use this on models to build a portfolio of case studies as part of your qualification coursework.
4) Your coursework will be completed from home and involves written assignments which must be completed via PC/laptop and submitted by email (study materials are provided to assist your learning). You will also complete a range of treatments on friends and family and submit evidence of your practice as a portfolio. Coursework is typically completed within 16-20 weeks of enrolling, however all students are given 2 years by VTCT to complete in full (including assessments) from the date of enrolment. This timescale allows you to adapt the qualification to your own pace and fit in with other commitments.
5) Once coursework is submitted, feedback is given by an assessor. When completed, you will arrange to attend your written/practical assessment days (written assessment dates must be attended and passed prior to booking practical assessments). You are required to bring a different female model for each day of practical assessment.
* The course structure will vary for the 16 Week Route and the Advanced Learner Loan courses. See the individual course pages for an outline of the course structure. ** Please note: the VTCT course prices include training, coursework, assessment and registration fees (exclusive of VAT). Kits are required towards coursework and assessments; however these are not included in the course price.
What routes can I take?
Flexible, home-study route
This route allows you to choose your preferred training dates on the dates most suitable for you (subject to availability) at your chosen training centre, and these can be either in a consecutive block or scattered over a period of time to suit your availability. Your written and practical coursework is completed from home and, aside from your training days, you will only need to attend the centre for assessments. This route is self-funded only, although there are finance options available to help you spread the cost.
16 Week route
This route is available on VTCT Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and VTCT Level 3 Massage Diploma only. Both courses require attendance at your preferred training centre for at least one day per week for 16 weeks. Your written and practical coursework is partially completed in the centre, but you will also be required to complete coursework at home, if necessary. Your assessment days are included in the 16 weeks, taken on week’s 12-16. This course is only run on specific dates and the course spaces are limited.
All of our qualification routes are specifically designed for those who require a flexible course of study to fit around a busy lifestyle, long working hours or other commitments.
What do I need to be able to complete a qualification with you?
- A good command of the English language (both verbal and written) is required for all qualifications.
- Students must be able to complete home-study coursework (written and/or practical) following training days and must also be able to attend assessment days which are only run on weekdays (amount of days varies depending on qualification) to achieve their qualifications.
- As students are required to complete their written and practical coursework from home, it is essential that you have access to a laptop/PC for the duration of the qualification (a tablet/iPhone will not be sufficient). It is also advised that you download the latest version of Adobe Reader to access the coursework material with ease.
- You will be required to bring models to your assessment days and use a range of models for your portfolio (amount of models depends on chosen qualification). Students must have access to friends/family/people to act as models to practice on and complete their practical coursework/assessment days.
- The majority of our qualifications do not have prerequisite courses, however, please note that if you are looking to complete VTCT Level 3 in Electrical Facials, you will need to have completed VTCT Level 2 in Facials prior to this. You can complete these courses alongside each other; please enquire for more information.
*Please note: Level 2 qualifications are similar to a GCSE at A*-C, Key Skills 2, GNVQ Intermediate or Functional Skills 2. Level 3 qualifications are similar to an A Level, GNVQ or Key Skills 3.
What if I need help with my qualification?
You can rest assured that you will be fully supported to achieve your qualification whilst studying with us. We have an in-house support team on hand to assist you with any queries, even beyond your training days, and work with only qualified and exceptionally experienced assessors. We have over 25 years’ experience in helping thousands of students to achieve professional qualifications with the highly recognised awarding body – the Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT). This is the most favoured awarding body by employers in the UK and also overseas with recognition in many countries. Those considering working abroad are required to check qualification suitability with the authorities of their chosen country prior to enrolment. We also hold registration to provide qualifications through City & Guilds on request.
What qualifications do you offer?
The Beauty Academy offers a full range of VTCT Qualifications.
Our course advisors are happy to discuss any queries and career options with you, please call us on